On Wednesdays I post a practical wisdom thought or suggestion on Marriage, Parenting, or Life.
Being a gold medal listener to your spouse is one of the best ways to help your partner feel loved, valued, and important.
- Begin with your EYES. Efficient listening always requires that you almost stare into your spouse’s eyes.
- PLAN TIME on a daily basis to attentively listen to your partner for even five minutes.
- Have NO DISTRACTIONS. The cell phone, tablet, newspaper, or other outside elements will be a block to active listening.
- ASK QUESTIONS. Asking back-to-back questions almost forces you to be a successful listener.
- AVOID the Cs – Don’t Correct, Criticize, Complain, or Condemn. This may be one of the biggest challenges to being a competent listener. Having a “C Attitude” produces a focus on yourself rather than your partner.
- WATCH YOUR NON-VERBALS. Your tone of voice, facial expression, and body language will either build-up or break down your listening skills.
- WORK HARD AT BEING A CAPABLE LISTENER. Being a caring listener actually takes practice on a daily basis.
TODAY: Share with your spouse just one of the 7 Ways you will work on to improve your listening skills.
Please follow me on Facebook and “Like” and “Share” when you read a post that is beneficial so others may receive the post. If you enjoyed reading this post you may enjoy reading other posts found on the website, www.DrRandallSchroeder.com, under “PRACTICAL WISDOM for Marriage, Parenting, and Life.”
In addition, I now have six marriage videos on my YouTube Channel, “Dr. Randall Schroeder.” Thank you!